“Fiercely candid, uncompromising, provocative, inspiring—DECODED is the long awaited first book by the multi-platinum, 10-time Grammy Award winning artist,entrepreneur, and icon JAY-Z. JAY-Z will share his passion for his art and work and discus what it was like growing up as a hustler and feeling judged simply because of where he was from. He will also address issues that informed him and his songwriting:
– How did visual art and poetry influence his craft?
– How did he get involved in politics when he never really trusted the system?
– How did he stay honest to himself in the world of big business and how did he shed stereotypes when he’d been labeled one all his life?
– How did he develop his business philosophy and what are his lessons for success and vision for the future?
“When I first started working on this book, I told my editor that I wanted to do three important things. The first was to make the case that hip-hop lyrics-not just my lyrics, but those of every great MC-are poetry if you look at them closely enough. The second was that I wanted the book to tell a little bit of the story of my generation, to show the context for the choices we made at a violent and chaotic crossroads in recent history. And the third piece was that I wanted the book to show how hip-hop created a way to take a
very specific and powerful experience and turn it into a story that everyone in the world could feel and relate to.”-JAY-Z, from DECODED.DECODED is a narrative journey through the lyrics and life
of one of the most prolific artists of our time. JAY-Z describes the meanings behind some of his most provocative songs and provides a highly personal narrative of the culture that so powerfully shaped his life and art. “I saw the circle before I saw the kid in the middle. I was nine years old, the summer of 1978, and Marcy was my world.”
For JAY-Z, lyrics aren’t just about songs, they’re about life, and in DECODED he brings his own story to life,
writing about his journey from Brooklyn’s notorious Marcy Projects to becoming a world-class artist, cultural icon, entrepreneur, and philanthropist.
“I went straight-stopped selling drugs-but I also didn’t accept the false choice between poverty and breaking the law.”
Make sure you don’t miss this event:
Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Auditorium, Brooklyn Museum TICKETS GO ON SALE Wednesday, November, 10th at 12 Noon! Tickets can be purchased at www.museumtix.com or at the Visitor Services Center at the Brooklyn Museum.
$50 General Admission (including Seniors & Students with valid ID)
$45 Members – Become a member
- The event will be filmed for later broadcast on “Charlie Rose.” Portions of the audience may
- There is a two-ticket purchase limit per patron, through MuseumTix.com, for this program.
- Each ticket purchased through MuseumTix.com for this program includes a copy of DECODED by JAY-Z that will be
provided to the patron upon admission to the program the evening of the
- Print outs of tickets will not be accepted. All patrons are to check in at will-call at the
Visitor Services Center at the Brooklyn Museum for tickets.
- Ticketholders must provide ID that matches the name on the ticket at will-call to be admitted
the evening of the event.
- There will be no standby line for this event.
CHARLIE ROSE is executive editor and
anchor of CHARLIE ROSE, the nightly one-hour interview program that engages in one-on-one in-depth conversation and round table discussions about important issues and ideas of our time. CHARLIE ROSE appears nightly on PBS and also in prime time on Bloomberg Television in the United States and 100 countries around the world. He is also a contributing correspondent to the CBS News program 60 Minutes. Charlie Rose and his guests define the global conversation. Since 1991, Charlie Rose has done more in-depth hours with Nobel Laureates and extraordinary men and women of science, politics, art, business, sports, technology, literature and entertainment than any other program in the world.